Architect , Interior Designer or Contractor

At Inception.

7 years ago, I came back to Malaysia after having spent 9 years in Melbourne to complete my degree and masters in architecture at the University of Melbourne.

Initially I was overjoyed that I could contribute in a profound way as an architect in my own country. In Melbourne, I taught architectural design at one of the top institutions, the University of Melbourne and had worked in the top architectural firms from Sydney and Melbourne. My time living in the 'world's most livable city' had definitely made me acutely aware of the positive effects and value of good architecture and good design to our lives daily.

Unfortunately, my personal journey of discovery on the role of an architect here is rather abysmal. And for the next several blog posts, I will try to explain my views on why it is not worthwhile to practice as an architect in Malaysia.

Along the way, my exposé will be aimmed at helping people in Petaling Jaya, Kuala Lumpur and the klang valley surrounds to find value and above all, joy, in hiring an 'architect' to run their design projects.

Stay tuned!

Chian Quah
M.Arch
University of Melbourne
www.studio-asean.com

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Do you actually need an architect in Malaysia for your housing or retail project?

10 tips on ways to maximise your time with an architect